Monday 18 December 2023

 What is it about life getting busy?  Is that a good excuse?  Honestly, no.  But it was real including I totally forgot I had this site.  Life truly can get away from you.  

I am still quilting and designing and and.  I have done some rug hooking and some experimentation with mediums both fabric and paint etc.

Here are some photos.  This is the beginning of using up scraps.  And no, I did not design the blocks.  They are from 'A Quiltersmakers 100 Blocks' Volume 8; Winter 2013.  The magazine surfaced from a pile of magazines which I occasionally dig through.  I am now in the process of adding other rows.  What the finished product will be is a guess although I have added some blocks but they are not sewn on and might not make the cut or will be altered.


I did not stop quilting in the long interlude since I last posted but life does add things that are unexpected and keeping this up to date was sacrificed.  If no one sees this then I will remove it but if it does get looked at I will continue.

My quilting machine has been busy though for others and I have done some experimenting.

This one below is paper pieced and was intended to use scraps.  Carol Doak sent a pattern a month and this was so much fun to do.  It was a block every month.  One of the great things about this aside from the fantastic designs was that quilting each one differently was a great teaching tool to broaden my quilting.  It was also such a lesson in using scraps.




This photo below is not a quilt but I taught a class in using different materials to create a design.  This is an embroidery done on my embroidery machine and then the use of simple childrens' crayons to colour the fabric inside designs.  For many being able to preserve those precious early designs done by grandchildren is very important.  I did use a machine to create the embroidery outlines but it is not necessary. It could be done by hand.  The actual fabric is simple a piece torn off an old sheet.  To use crayons, first experiment.  To make the colour stick on the fabric, use a paper towel on top and iron,  The paper towel will absorb the wax but leave the colour.  It has been hanging for quite a while and has not faded.

Quilting is one of the most flexible and creative mediums.  

Bye for now.  I left in the old links to sites that might not still be active but if there is still information on them it would wrong to unlink them.



No comments:

Post a Comment