Friday 25 May 2018

Quilt Rescue

Have you ever had a quilt which when finished was not quite what you wanted or up to your standards?  And your standards do change over time and with experience. 

Well I had such a quilt.  I was a relatively new quilter and I led a group to make a strip quilt.  I did not really like the particular strips but it was all that was available at the time.  But I loved the back fabric; an expensive batik.  At that time it was over $15.00 a meter which was expensive then but not now.  And I was new at long arm, actually a mid arm at that time, and the design was not good especially by my current standards.  It left too many sections without some quilting.  I subscribe to Angela Walters philosophy of quilting it to death, at least on my own quilts.

The quilt has been used to make cats happy and is in a post ' Dull and grey but' on this blog from a while ago. It nagged at me to do something to rescue the batik in particular.  And I LOVE red.  Well rescue came in the form of a show on The Quilt Show with Katie Fowler a couple of years ago when an existing quilt was cut up on the show.  Finally, and I am sure the quilt is grateful, it got its rescue a week ago. 

I cut the quilt into 3" squares and put them back together by butting them up against each other and stitching with invisible thread.  I learned a lot as I went but it was in the end pretty simple.  And I think it turned out well.  Even the ugly strips which form the back look better.  The back is really crazy as the original quilt front was 4 patches using the strips.  And as a bonus I found a roll of binding, cut pressed and not used that just went right.

Pictures tell the story better so here is the front and now the crazy back.


I can say I now really like the quilt.  I learned a lot putting it together about butting up quilted vs. non quilted sections.  But a project is best when there is learning.  It took only a relatively short time to make the change in the quilt.  Would I do it again?  Yes if I disliked the quilt enough.  Katie Fowler believes in 'What if?' and it is fun to say that and then try it.  Nothing to lose.

The quilt is bright; I get my lovely red and it is not in the landfill.


No comments:

Post a Comment