Wednesday 30 July 2014

Have fun

I have posted before that quilting is fun.  Well with my latest quilt on the frame I have upped my fun quotient. This is a quilt for a group here in Nova Scotia called CAPS and they rescue animals and find them a good home.  They helped a neighbour and I with a lovely black and white cat who was living in the cold and scrounging anything she could find to eat.  I have 3 cats and they are not allowed out and live the life of Riley. The cat we helped with CAPS is now snug in a new home I am happy to say.

In return I am making a quilt that CAPS can use to obtain funds to further their work.  The subject of the quilting is of course cats.  I have combined embroidering cats with quilting cats.  Part of my fun is not just doing the quilting on the long arm but creating quilting designs and then having Hortense stitch them out.

Well Hortense and I have gone a bit farther.  That happens the more comfortable you get with your machine.  The quilting design for each cat is quite simple but embellishment is so much fun.  With a nice taut, flat quilt; a removable marker, you have a great drawing board to add details by either drawing and stitching over or just free hand stitching.  Yes, I also designed the cats for embroidery on a machine.  My own cats were used as models for some of the pictures.

Here are pictures of a few of the cats on the quilt.  I will post a picture of the final product.  One more row to do and it will be finished.  I hope you are having as much fun with quilting.  Sometimes life is a bit rough but if we have something rewarding to escape into then it helps to smooth the edges.





No comments:

Post a Comment