Sunday 31 December 2017

Snow, snow, snow

For days we have had flurries.  But flurries soon become lots of snow.  Combined with cold, it is a great opportunity to get some things done.  Of course all quilters with a few exceptions have UFO's.  And I also read today about a condition I can totally sympathize with.  It is where one starts something exciting and it gets part way there when the eye and/or mind is captured by something new.  I try to use restraint but that desire to move on to another project does breed UFO's.

Example was a guild challenge to make a block.  Ok, the block was finished.  Had fun but what to do with the block.  It languished on my design wall.  Not big enough to make a bigger quilt; too unique to be anything but a one off block.  So a little quilt was the solution.  But finding a suitable fabric for a border was a challenge.  Box after box of fat quarters were investigated.  That alone was a sad exercise to see all the lovely fabrics still to be used.  Finally I found a batik which reminded me of sea horses.  It did not bear any likeness to the block but it worked.  Here it is.   I will add it to my quilting room wall somewhere.  It was a good practice for my new BSR.   Do I see an ulterior motive to making a small quilt?


In looking around on another day I saw a big block of fat quarters in coordinating fabrics all tied up with a ribbon.  I wanted to make a Christmas gift which was going to be late to the post; of course.  I took the fabrics apart and they were really luxurious.  Perfect for a lovely table in an old stone house in Scotland.  I very, very quickly cast aside one of the fat quarters thinking it would make nice borders.  It was a quick decision and I got on with the blocks which were to be a table runner.  A ten degree ruler which had lain unused was tried out.  This is the result.  
Notice there are no borders and it is not a table runner.  That is because the blocks did not finish as I thought they would so I ignored them for a bit.  Out came the ignored fat quarter from the pile and I mean  a large pile of fabric on the cutting table.  It multiplies overnight I am certain.  The fat quarter was actually a picture which coordinated with the other fat quarters.  So change in plans; it became the table runner.  Good old longarm got to work on tracing components of the picture and it turned out nicely and one of the neglected fat quarters made the binding.  
So, more projects are finished but there are some tempting things from leftovers; a challenge that is partially finished.  And I came across some hexagons in an orphan state and so began a small quilt this p.m. to use them.  I wonder if there is therapy for those quilters who keep imagining projects before finishing the current one or ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment