Tuesday 27 June 2017

See this lovely quilt

One of the pleasures and responsibilities of doing long arm quilting for others is getting beautiful quilts brought to me.  Here is a gorgeous one.  There are so many interesting fabrics used in this and the eclectic results make this an exceptional Dresden Plate quilt.   This is going to a much loved little girl so I quilted her initial in the bottom corner.  The borders are random hearts.  Grandma knows where the initial is.  Granddaughter will have to find it.  She will have wonderful time exploring all the fabrics.  Her Grandma collects the most interesting fabrics and this is not her only quilt to be admired.



Also recently the question of batting came up.  Not with this quilt but another.  There are so many batts on the market and you have to be careful that you choose one that suits.  For a child you do not want too thick a batting and not all synthetic as it does not breath and you want to ensure you have some loft to show off the quilting.  We, the client (an adoring Grandmother) and I, had to explore alternatives to one that had been purchased at a store.  We found a thin 80/20 batting which had a scrim that prevents stretching which the original did.  Perfect and the quilt turned out beautifully.  Again I got to enjoy seeing a client happy with the quilt.  And this one has the recipient's 3 initials in the quilting. 

When I think how green I was at long arm quilting when I started this blog and how far Hortense, my machine, and I have come and there is still so much to learn and so many possible designs and quilts.  Every day is a discovery.  Aren't I so fortunate?  And we are going to upgrade our software.  Excitement coming!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment